Where & When
Friday, September 14th through Sunday, September 16th
Silver Lake Conference Center (& Summer Camp)
223 Low Road, Sharon, CT 06069
Let’s gather to celebrate music, friendship, legacies, and so many years of making music together. Caroline Paton will be turning 86 this year and we want to mark the special occasion and recognize the contributions Folk-Legacy has made to folk music over the past 50 years. We invite you to come sing and celebrate with us.
The weekend will feature open-song sessions where we gather and sing with each other (leading songs is optional, songs are typically sung without printed words or music) as well as participatory concerts where the audience is encouraged to join in on the choruses.
- 5PM – Begin arriving at camp, check in at registration in the Cedars Main Level
- 6PM Dinner – Cedars Dining Hall: Separate Registration – Catering provided by Freund’s Farm.
- 8PM – Cedars Dining Hall: Concert with Linnea, Shannon, & Juliana Paton
- 8:30 – Breakfast – Cedars Dining Hall
- 10 ish Mid-morning Circles with Themes – Bring a song to share, make a song request, or just sing along!
- Retreat Center: A Golden Ring of Songs led by Linnea Paton- Singable, traditional songs, mostly with choruses
- Lodge: What a Ballad! led by Lynn Feingold from the Folksong Society of Greater Boston- Ballads, ballads, and more ballads
- 12:30 Lunch – Cedars Dining Hall
- 2:30 PM Afternoon Concert – Cedars Dining Hall with the Dave Paton’s Irish Music Reunion Band
David Paton: Concertina, Hammer DulcimerSean Roarty: FiddleLiz Nolf: Tin Whistle, FiddleGraham Smythe: Tenor BanjoRen Nickson: Bouzouki, GuitarShaila Chowdhury: BodhranMike Prentice: Bass
4 ish Afternoon Circles with Themes
Retreat Center: Community Folk Sing – A song-circle in the tradition of community singing led by Brian Dolphin
Cedars-Main Level : Old-time music jam
Lodge: Irish Music Jam
- 6 PM Dinner – Cedars Dining Hall
- 7:00 Evening Concert – Fifty Golden Years – Cedars Main Level
Join Folk-Legacy artists and friends for a participatory concert featuring moving, singable new and traditional folk songs. Here’s a sample of songs from Folk-Legacy’s 50th Anniversary Concert in 2011 at the Sounding Board Coffeehouse in CT.
- 8 PM Campfire and S’Mores
- Cedars Main Level – Morning – Fa So La Mi – Early morning shape note sing. Bring a shape note book if you have one. Info video below about Shape Note singing below for reference.
- 9:30 AM Brunch- Cedars Dining Hall
- Mid-morning Circle Themes
- Retreat Center: Lord, I Want More Religion – Gospel & Religious Songs
- Cedars Main Hall: Open Sing, Kids Songs, Funny Songs, and Rounds
- Lodge: Tunes Jam
- Mid-afternoon – departure
All attendees out of camp by 2PM
More about the Music
Here’s a mini-clip of Linnea & Shannon from the People’s Music Network 2017 gathering
A brief history of shape note singing:
Dave Paton has been playing Irish music for over 40 years. He currently leads a band called Wild Cat Creek in northwestern CT.